Spring has sprung! As the weather warms up outside, it is time do a deep clean of the house and rummage through the closets, under the bed, in the attic and every other nook and cranny to get rid of items you no longer need or want. However, while you are focusing on freshening up your home, do not forget to look after yourself as well! Now is the perfect time to schedule a spring checkup with a family dentist in Gorham.
What to Expect at Your Spring Dental Checkup
If you haven’t been to the dentist’s office since last year – or maybe even longer! – here is what you can expect during your next appointment:
- Professional teeth cleaning – A dental hygienist will expertly remove harmful plaque and tartar buildup from your teeth, leaving your smile clean and refreshed.
- Dental X-rays – Modern X-rays are fast and painless – and unlike older X-rays, results are now available right away. X-rays can help your dentist spot any dental issues not visible to the naked eye.
- Dental exam – Your dentist will thoroughly examine your teeth and the surrounding tissues in the mouth. He or she will look for cavities, gum disease, early signs of oral cancer and any other developing dental trouble.
3 Health Risks of Avoiding Dental Checkups
According to the Commonwealth Fund, more than 1 in 3 U.S. adults skipped a routine dental visit in 2016 – that is more than 100 million Americans! However, avoiding the dentist can negatively affect one’s health in the following ways:
- Increased Risk of Tooth Decay – Even if you brush and floss every diligently on your own, plaque and tartar can build up in your mouth in those hard-to-reach places in between teeth.
- Increased Risk of Gum Disease – The early signs of gum disease can be very subtle and difficult to notice at home. However, if left untreated gum disease can worsen and eventually lead to tooth loss!
- Miss Early Signs of Oral Cancer – Early detection of oral cancer – when it is easiest to remove – is crucial to overcoming this serious disease.
How Often Should You See a Dentist?
Between work, picking up the kids from school and dusting off the cobwebs in the house after a long winter, fitting a routine dental checkup into your busy schedule is not always easy. However, in addition to brushing twice daily and flossing every day, the American Dental Association recommends seeing a dentist for a routine cleaning and exam every six months. Doing so is critical to maintaining good oral health all year round.
Ring in spring with a healthy smile! Talk to a dentist in Gorham today to ensure your teeth and mouth stay in excellent shape.
About the Author
For over 45 years, families in Gorham and the greater Portland area have turned to Dr. Ted Morgan for all their dental care needs. An active member of the American Dental Association, he enjoys connecting with patients on a personal level and delivering high-quality of clinical care. Patients old and new can learn more about Dr. Morgan by visiting the Morgan-Hill Dental Care website or calling 207-839-2655.