Tooth Extractions – Gorham, ME
Remove Problem Teeth & Restore Your Healthy Smile
There’s nothing quite like your natural teeth. That’s why we do everything we can to keep your smile happy, healthy, and intact for a lifetime. However, there are certain situations where a tooth needs to be removed in order to protect your oral and overall health. At Morgan-Hill Dental Care, we provide quick and comfortable tooth extractions in Gorham to remove problem teeth and restore your healthy smile as soon as possible. If you or a loved one has a severely damaged or painful tooth, contact our office right away to schedule a same-day emergency appointment.
Why Choose Morgan-Hill Dental Care For Tooth Extractions?
- #1 Calming & Comfortable Sedation Dentistry Options Available
- #2 Multiple Types Of Treatments to Replace Missing Teeth
- #3 Same-Day Appointments for Dental Emergencies
When Is Tooth Extraction Recommended?
Rest assured that your Gorham emergency dentist doesn’t suggest tooth extractions lightly. It’s only recommended when absolutely essential for your health and there are no other viable treatments that can save your tooth. Commonly, this includes situations like:
- When a tooth is so badly damaged it cannot be repaired.
- When a tooth is so severely decayed or infected it cannot be rescued.
- When gum disease has irreparably weakened the bone structure that supports the tooth.
- When more room is required in your mouth for a new denture or orthodontic treatment.
- When a baby tooth is preventing a permanent tooth from coming in.
- When a third molar (wisdom tooth) is trapped beneath the gumline.
Understanding the Tooth Extraction Procedure
First and foremost, your Gorham dentist will thoroughly inspect your mouth and look for alternative solutions. If none are found and you both agree that extraction is the best way to move forward, the procedure can begin. We’ll apply a local anesthetic to completely numb the area and ease any discomfort you may be in. If you’re feeling particularly anxious or overwhelmed, we may offer calming sedation dentistry options so you can sit back and relax while we care for your smile.
There are two methods of extracting teeth: simple and surgical. Simple extraction can be used for teeth that have erupted from the gum tissue and can be removed in one piece. We’ll gently rock the tooth back and forth until it detaches from its supportive structures and slips out of the socket. If your tooth is trapped beneath the gumline or has been broken into several pieces, a surgical extraction will be needed. We’ll open up the gum tissue, remove the tooth, and stitch up the extraction site with dissolvable stitches.
Healing After Tooth Extraction
We’ll give you specific instructions for how to care for your unique smile after your tooth extraction. To ensure a fast and comfortable recovery period, we will typically suggest that you:
- Relax and avoid physical activities for the following 24 hours.
- Take prescribed medication and over-the-counter pain relievers as instructed.
- Reduce swelling by applying an ice pack or cold compress for 10-15 minutes at a time.
- Rinse with warm saltwater several times a day to protect the extraction site from infection.
- Stick to a diet of soft, nutritious foods for at least 48 hours.
- Don’t smoke, don’t drink with a straw, and don’t forget to brush the extraction site gently.
At Morgan-Hill Dental Care, we’ll do everything we can to help prevent the need for a tooth extraction. However, should you need to have a problematic tooth removed for the good of your oral and overall health, we have the experienced and state-of-the-art equipment needed to help. If you still have questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us right away.